Job Seeker Home
(this posting is closed/inactive)
Southeastern Ohio Regional Medical Center
Vice President, Human Resources
Cambridge, OH 43725 United States
An attractive package consisting of base salary, incentive, and other, appropriate benefits.
VP of Human Resources
Guernsey Health Systems is a not for profit single hospital health care system. In addition to Southeastern Ohio Regional Medical Center (www.seormc.org) and its physician employee group, Superior Med, LLC, (www.superiormed.com), Guernsey Health Systems owns and operates United Ambulance Service.
Southeastern Ohio Regional Medical Center is a 98 bed sole community hospital. Originally incorporated in 1952 as Guernsey Memorial Hospital, Southeastern Ohio Regional Medical Center, also known as Southeastern Med, has evolved into Guernsey County's only state of the art general acute health care center serving 5,000 inpatients and 135,000 outpatients annually. The medical center recently expanded their cancer service line. Some of the other services provided include orthopedic, general surgery, urology, ear/nose/throat, cardiology, physical/occupational/pulmonary/cardiac outpatient services, telestroke, an emergency room serving 29,000 visits a year, and a modern intensive care unit. They also provide additional services to the community through health screenings, health education, and wellness classes as they strive to build a healthier community.
The value and expertise of its associates, administration and board has made Southeastern Med a leading health care provider in Southeastern Ohio.
The population of Cambridge is approximately 14,000 and the population of Guernsey County is 40,000.
The county enjoys a strong economic base with industries such as Colgate, Fed Ex, Detroit Diesel, AMG Ferro Vanadium, Ridge Tool, and Quanex Corporation in addition to many other smaller manufacturing firms. The area is posed for significant economic growth as part of the newly discovered Marcellus Shale oil and gas play.
In addition to three local school districts and one private school, Guernsey County is home to a campus of Zane State College offering a local four year college degree. Cambridge is seven miles east of New Concord, home of Muskingum University.
Cambridge is an ideal location for those who enjoy outdoor activities. In addition to hiking trails, rails to trails for walking, and an outstanding city park with all the desired recreational amenities, Cambridge has two nearby lakes that attract many visitors each year. Salt Fork State Park and Lodge is Ohio's largest state park complete with lodge and Ohio's largest inland beach. Salt Fork, Seneca Lake, and Ohio Power Lands offer outstanding fishing, boating and kayaking opportunities. Other local attractions include "The Wilds", a natural animal preserve, and the "Living Word", an outdoor drama that draws an audience from all over the Midwest.
The position will provide overall strategic Human Resources leadership to the organization and bear the responsibility for the operations of the Human Resources function. The individual will oversee the development, implementation and maintenance of Human Resources policies, programs, and services including employee relations; employment practices; compensation and benefits; recruitment and orientation; management development; retention; legal compliance and procedures; and employee communications.
The Vice President, Human Resources will act as an advisor to the Senior Management Team and Department Directors in areas of personnel management. He/she will engage in the Strategic Planning process by supporting the execution of business unit strategies and plans through the implementation of Human Resources solutions that support short and long-term business objectives. The individual will select, develop, evaluate, and lead a department of professionals with a goal of earning a high level of credibility as an effective and responsive resource in the organization. The individual will foster a workplace environment consistent with the Vision and Mission established by the Board of Directors.
The Vice President also serves in a consulting role to the managers who oversee United Ambulance and Superior Med.
President, Chief Executive Officer
Director of Human Resources
Human Resources Associates (2)
• Human Resources Operations – refine and develop a working performance management system
• Human Resources Operations – continue work on updating Job Descriptions
• Human Resources Operations – improve the pace and the accuracy of the work flow in the department and continually create efficiencies
• Human Resources Operations – understand, complete and monitor retirement plan annual filing of documents
• Human Resources Operations – prepare changes and adaption for group health plans relative to health care reform
• Human Resources Consulting – continue to coach and mentor Department Directors on various Human Resource related issues
• Human Resources Consulting – provide expert knowledge and opinion on selected Human Resources legal and regulatory issues
• Human Resources Consulting – improve the retention of trained professionals and challenge them in their work
• Human Resources Consulting – enhance the improved image of Human Resources through responsiveness, timeliness, and specificity
Consistent with the Major Issues stated above:
• Human Resources Operations – refine and develop a working Performance Management system: complete by year end
• Human Resources Operations – improve the pace and the accuracy of the work flow in the department: improve on this immediately and continue to improve
• Human Resources Operations – review and finalize updating of Job Descriptions: complete by year end
• Human Resources Consulting – continue to coach and mentor Department Directors on various Human Resource related issues: maintain immediately.
• Human Resources Consulting – provide expert knowledge and opinion on selected Human Resources legal and regulatory issues: maintain immediately
• Human Resources Consulting – improve the retention of trained professionals and challenge them in their work: improve on this immediately and continue to improve
• Human Resources Consulting – enhance the improved image of Human Resources through responsiveness, timeliness, and specificity: maintain and enhance immediately
• Human Resource Operations – plan group health changes for health care reform in 2014: complete this by a date to be determined
• Human Resource Consulting – analyze potential turnover and wage structure and scales for retention: complete this by a date to be determined
Education, training, experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Administration or Management; or in an associated field with concentration in Human Resources; or in Business Administration with specialization in Human Resources. A Master’s Degree in an applicable field is a plus.
SPHR certification would be an enhancement.
• An excellent communicator; someone who prides him/herself on being clear, confident, and helpful
• Someone who acts as the “face” of Southeastern Ohio Regional Medical Center on a regular basis and is personable to all
• Someone who treats people fairly, consistently, and always with compassion and understanding
• Always uses strong values and integrity as his/her decision and communications foundation
• Understands the critical importance that planning plays in every situation
Experience and Competencies:
• Five-plus years’ experience in community hospitals including five or so years at a manager or director level in Human Resources; less experience could be considered
• Appreciate the differences and advantages associated with living in a community the size of Cambridge
• Appropriate leadership experience exemplified by strong communications, excellent performance management and performance appraisal history, and exceptional work process improvements and standards
• Having established strong, professional relationships with all internal consistencies
• A well-defined career path within the Human Resources function
• Experienced leader and human resources executive with appropriate industry experience, preferably in a rural hospital setting
• Well organized and self-directed individual who excels in teamwork
• Forward thinking and creative individual with high ethical standards and an appropriate professional image
• A strategic planner with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment and strong operational focus
• Ability to relate to people at all levels of the organization, with excellent communication skills
• Experienced as a facilitator in resolving conflicts when disputes arise
• Strategic focus as well as operational “savvy”, with a detail oriented perspective
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex Human Resources related laws and documents
• Effective response to sensitive inquiries or complaints
• Experienced in speaking to all levels of staff, management, and board members about controversial or complex topics
• Understanding of Joint Commission procedures and requirements
• Ability to facilitate group meetings and drive decision making
• Strong professional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
• Knowledge of federal, state, and local employment, wage, and salary laws and regulations
• Knowledge of computerized information systems used in human resources applications
• Experience in re-engineering processes and formulating policy
• Knowledge of change management
• Internal fortitude to make difficult decisions and implement unpopular changes
In addition, we prefer someone with an open, honest, consistent, and approachable style; someone who has probably worked in a comparably sized organization; and who is equally comfortable both on the technical and the relations sides of the Human Resources function.
The ideal candidate will have experience in healthcare operations enabling him/her to fully understand the complexities of daily operations, along with a solid Human Resources Generalist background. Knowledge of Personnel Law and governance of regulatory agency requirements are essential.
Terms & Conditions